45-60 min COOK TIME
4 servings SERVINGS
- 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2 medium), unpeeled and scrubbed, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (roughly 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless fillets sole or other firm white fish (each 5 ounces and 1- to 1-1/2-inch-thick)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with rack in center position. Line sheet pan with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until thoroughly coated.
- Assemble four potato rafts by over-lapping potato slices on prepared pan in rectangular mounds. Each raft should consist of 3 or 4 shingled rows and be roughly 4 by 6 inches; use 3 or 4 slices of potato per row.
- Roast potatoes, rotating pan halfway through, until golden brown and beginning to crisp, about 30 minutes. Remove pan from oven.
- Blot fish fillets dry with a towel. Place one, skinned side down, centered on top of each potato raft. Top each piece of fish with 1 tablespoon butter, 2 lemon slices and 2 sprigs thyme. Scatter capers atop fish and around pan.
- Return pan to oven and roast until fish is flaky and opaque, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer potato rafts and accompanying fillets to individual plates, ideally with a big spatula. Serve hot. Try out more quick meals in Easy One-Pan Recipes.