- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac berries
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Kosher or coarse sea salt, to taste
- Simply mix all the ingredients together, and your za’atar is ready to use.
For more about growing and blending your own herbs and spices, see: Homemade Spice Blends.
Adapted from a recipe by Susan Belsinger.
This spice blend usually consists of 3 parts crushed or powdered dried za’atar leaves; 1 part crushed, roasted sesame seeds; 1 part ground sumac berries (Rhus coriaria); and salt and pepper to taste. If you don’t have the za’atar herb Origanum syriacum, substitute thyme with an equal part marjoram, oregano, or both, as below.