- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled carrots 375 mL
- 1 cup filtered water 250 mL
- In a saucepan, combine carrots and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until carrots are very soft, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to blender or use an immersion blender in the saucepan. Purée until smooth. Let cool until warm to the touch before serving or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
More from The Best Baby Food:
• Homemade Fried Rice Baby Food Recipe
• Homemade Maple Pineapple Recipe
Courtesy of The Best Baby Food: 125 Healthy and Delicious Recipes for Babies and Toddlers by Jordan Wagman & Jill Hillhouse 2015 © www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
The Best Baby Food (Robert Rose, 2015), by Jordan Wagman and Jill Hillhouse, explore many homemade recipes you can make for baby with ingredients you have on hand. Chef Wagman will show you how to prepare recipes using a variety of cooking methods that may better suite your baby’s tastes. Choose from a collection of over 125 recipes. The following excerpt is from the Chapter, “Starting Solids for babies 6 to 9-months.”
Chef Jordan’s Tip
I often roast carrots until caramelized, the puree them. The depth of flavor is unbelievable. Toss the carrots in 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil and roast in a preheated oven (300°F/150° C) until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Puree until smooth. To thin this puree, add warm filtered water until you achieve the desired consistency.
Jill’s Nutrition Tip
Carrots are one of the richest vegetable sources of the antioxidant nutrient beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the liver. Your baby’s developing vision relies on adequate amounts of this vitamin. Along with eye health, research suggests that eating carrots benefits cardiovascular health and helps fight against cancer.