Photo by Fotolia
Frozen muffins make a perfect on-the-go breakfast.
12 muffins SERVINGS
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 small, very ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine boiling water and both brans; stir and set aside.
- In a new bowl, mash and mix bananas until they are liquefied, then add the egg, mixing well. Stir in honey, buttermilk and dates, then add water/bran mixture. Stir and let sit.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and baking soda. Add dry mix to bran/banana mixture, stirring until just moistened.
- Fill oiled muffin tins 3⁄4 full, putting 1 inch of water in any empty muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. They are done when you press the center down a bit and it pops back up. Makes 12 muffins.
Keep your kitchen stocked and learn more about food prep in Your Freezer, Your Friend: 11 Freezer-Friendly Foods.
Adapted with permission from The Spices of My Life by Tiffany Moen.
Excerpted from The Spices of My Life by Tiffany Moen, these healthful muffins contain lots of fiber and whole foods, yet are deliciously moist and delicate.
Moist High-Fiber Muffins Recipe