For agliata sauce:
- 1 head garlic
- 3⁄4 cup and 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups day-old Italian rustic bread, crust removed and cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 large radicchio
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off top of garlic head until cloves are exposed. Place garlic in a small baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake garlic for 20 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix balsamic vinegar and water. Add bread cubes and soak for about 15 minutes or until very soft. Squeeze liquid out of bread and put bread into a mixing bowl. To the bowl, add roasted garlic cloves squeezed out of their skins, minced garlic and parsley. Blend all ingredients into a thick paste. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in remaining olive oil, a few drops at a time to make an emulsion. The oil will not be absorbed completely; a little oil on top is traditional.
- To prepare the vegetables, cut zucchini lengthwise and quarter radicchio. Place vegetables in a shallow baking dish. Blend minced garlic with olive oil and brush zucchini and radicchio with this mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Let vegetables marinate for at least one hour.
- Grill radicchio over a medium flame, turning often so each side blackens slightly and insides become tender, 10 to 12 minutes. At the same time, grill zucchini halves on both sides until golden and tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving plate. (Alternatively, the radicchio and zucchini may also be broiled or baked at 400 degrees until golden, 6 to 10 minutes.)
- Serve immediately, passing agliata sauce for diners to serve themselves.
Find more delicious recipes featuring Italian herbs in A Guide to Italian Herb Seasonings.
Reprinted from The Edible Italian Garden by Rosalind Creasy.
Agliata is an Italian garlic sauce. This is a surprisingly delicious way to enjoy vegetables. The grilling gives the radicchio and zucchini a luscious smoky flavor and sweetness that pair perfectly with the tangy sauce. Serve the vegetables with grilled chicken, steak or fish. For a vegetarian feast, serve it with polenta and grilled mushrooms.