Photo by Ben Pieper
Add turmeric to your spice rack to prevent and treat illnesses, enhance beauty and flavor your favorite dishes.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a stock pot, sauté vegetables in ghee for 4 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric and sauté another minute.
- Pour in water. Bring to a boil, add salt, and simmer until vegetables are tender and water level reduces about 25 percent. If you want clear broth, strain out vegetables and use as a base for soups, curries and sauces. Otherwise, enjoy as a vegetable soup. Find more recipes and learn about the myriad health benefits of this herb in The Wonders of Turmeric.
Lance Roehrig experimented in the kitchen until he found “the perfect broth.” The magic ingredient? Turmeric.