In The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking authors Peter Reinhart and Denene Wallace show readers how to craft baked goods that are suitable for those who are sensitive to gluten, diabetic or looking to reduce their carb and sugar intake. The book features more than 80 recipes for any skill level for breads, pastries, cookies, cakes and more. This chocolate pie crust recipes comes from chapter 7, Pies.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking.
Chocolate Pie Crust Recipe
This pie crust is a great choice for cream pies, especially chocolate cream pie. Who says you can’t have chocolate on chocolate?
• 1 cup almond flour
• 1 cup coconut flour
• 1/4 cup Splenda or stevia extract in the raw, or 2 tablespoons New Roots Stevia Sugar
• 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
• 1/2 teaspoon baking power
• 1/4 cup salted butter or margarine, melted
• 6 tablespoons unsweetened chocolate soy milk or other milk
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1/8 teaspoon liquid stevia
1. If you’ll be baking the crust before filling it, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly mist a 9- or 10-inch pie pan with spray oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, Splenda, cocoa powder, and baking powder and whisk until well mixed. Add the butter, milk, vanilla, and liquid stevia and stir with a large spoon for 1 to 2 minutes. The dough will be stiff and playdough-like.
3. Put the dough in the prepared pan and lightly mist the top with spray oil. Spread the dough with your fingers, pressing it in an even layer to line the pan. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork to help prevent bubbles and air pockets. If you’ll be filling the pie before baking it, it’s ready to go.
4. If prebaking the crust, cover the edges with aluminum foil, then bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for 7 more minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the crust is crisp and firm to the touch.
Reprinted with permission from The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking by Peter Reinhart & Denene Wallace, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.