Photo by Victor Boghossian
This creamy carrot soup is a natural source of falcarinol, which may reduce cancer risk.
1 hour DURATION
6 servings SERVINGS
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, plus more to taste
- 10 large organic carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pices
- 6 cups chicken broth or roasted vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1. Heat a large stockpot over medium heat and add oil. When hot, add onions, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until onions are lightly golden and tender. Stir in pepper.
2. Add carrots and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add ginger. Cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.
3. Transfer mixture to blender, add juice, and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add salt, to taste.
4. Return soup to pot if you’d like to warm it slightly before serving. Or pour into a glass container and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Read More:Soup Cleansing for a New Year Detox
Adapted from The Soup Cleanse: A Revolutionary Detox of Nourishing Soups and Healing Broths from the Founders of Soupure by Angela Blatteis and Vivienne Veila.
Carrots produce falcarinol, which studies suggest may reduce cancer risk. They are also known to slow aging and make skin appear healthier. This may the best and creamiest carrot soup you’ve ever tasted.