Photo by Veer
Top ice cream or mascarpone with these tasty bourbon cherries.
- 1 pound sweet or tart cherries, pitted
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups sugar (more if cherries are tart, less if they are sweet)
- 1 to 2 ounces lemon juice (more if cherries are sweet, less if they are tart)
- Pinch salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups bourbon (enough to cover)
- Simmer cherries, sugar, lemon juice and salt in a deep saucepan over medium-low heat for 25 minutes, occasionally stirring and scraping down sides of the pan with a spatula. Set aside to cool.
- Pour cherries and sticky juice into a canning jar or other container. Add enough bourbon to cover, stir to combine and screw on lid. Store in a cool, dark spot for up to a few months to allow flavors to commingle and mellow.
- Begin tasting cherries and infused bourbon at about 1 month. As soon as you prefer the flavor, use the bourbon in cocktails, and the cherries in desserts or as a cocktail garnish. For more recipes for preserving food check out our End-of-Summer Food Preservation Guide.
Try these boozy jewels with ice cream or mascarpone, and use the infused liquor in cocktails. Add a pinch of cloves and cinnamon if you like winter spices.