Best for the Kitchen: Five Eco-Friendly Kitchen Appliances
2. GE Energy Star-labeled refrigerators exceed government energy efficiency standards by at least 10 percent. The Profile Custom Style fridges have a carbon-block water filter in the water and ice-maker dispensers. From $1,079 to $3,199, depending on freezer location. (800) 626-2000
3. Water-saving ASKO dishwashers have a 3.9-gallon “Quick Wash” cycle, or a 4.6-gallon normal cycle, and nearly 80 percent of the materials used in manufacture are recyclable. They’re also Energy Star rated. $760 to $1,499. (800) 898-1879. Equator 72 series full-size stainless steel dishwashers feature a 4.5-gallon wash cycle, which saves detergent, water, sewage, and energy. $699 to $749. (713) 464-3422
4. The “triple purifier” reverse osmosis system of the 2PureH2O undercounter water filter from H3Environmental removes more than 99 percent of pollutants and all dissolved solids in water. $1,600, uninstalled. (818) 766-1787
5. GE’s ProfileAdvantium 120 is a combination electric oven, which uses halogen lights to cook four times as fast as conventional ovens. It has four cooking modes: microwave, Speedcook, bake, and warming. $1,799 to $1,999. (800) 626-2000.
• Replacing a ten-year-old refrigerator bought in 1990 with a new Energy Star-qualified model would save enough energy to light the average household for three months and prevent more than 300 pounds of pollution each year, according to Energy Star.
• To minimize outgassing, choose models that have the least amount of plastic or rubber; opt for glass shelves and stainless steel.
• Your refrigerator uses the most electricity of all your kitchen appliances. It can account for as much as 15 percent of a home’s total energy usage, according to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
• Top- or bottom- freezer models are more efficient–they use 7 to 13 percent less energy than side-by-side models.
• Automatic ice makers and through-the-door dispensers increase energy use by 14 to 20 percent.
• Models with an anti-sweat heater consume 5 to 10 percent more energy. Look for a model with an “energy saver” switch that allows you to turn off or turn down the heating coils that prevent condensation.
Caring for the Environment, Animals and Ourselves
Great skin should not be at the expense of the animals, our beautiful planet or your well-being.
Using Wool to Create Natural, Sustainable & Unique Wardrobe Staples
Discover how knitting wool has positive impact on the knitter, the wearer and the environment.
Lemon Furniture Polish Recipe
Skip the harsh chemicals from store-bought products and create your own furniture polish!