Rosy Face Moisturiser
Roses are the greatest for skin care. They are active, hydrating and anti-ageing, so this moisturiser is perfect for dry skin. More than that, roses just smell utterly delightful. Search out the roses that actually smell – they are few and far between in the shops these days, so maybe make friends with your neighbour (the one with the scented roses) and swap them for a jar. The amount of extra oil you will get from the roses is dependent on their moisture level.
- 4 large handfuls of fresh rose petals (any colour), unsprayed and perfumed
- 250ml avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 10g beeswax
- 2 teaspoons vitamin E oil
- 10 drops of rose essential oil
- wide-mouthed jar
- sterilised jar, for storage
- Start by shaking off any wee critters inside your rose petals. Put the petals into a wide-mouthed jar and cover with the avocado or olive oil. Use a wooden spoon (or smaller jar that fits inside the larger jar) to bruise the petals (drawing out some of the moisture). Put the lid on the jar. Leave in the sunlight (inside, but not somewhere too hot – just a place where it can get sunlight) for a couple of weeks. Strain the oil into a bowl and discard the petals.
- Put the strained rose oil and the beeswax into a double boiler over a low heat and heat until melted and combined. If you don’t have a double boiler, then instead use a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water underneath).
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little, then stir in the vitamin E oil and rose essential oil. Pour into a sterilised jar and leave to cool completely before putting the lid on. The mix will emulsify like coconut oil does, but will melt when touched. Keep in a cool, dark place for up to a month.
Use as required, gently rubbing into your skin.
Also from The Art of Natural Beauty:
Reprinted with permission from The Art of Natural Beauty: Homemade Lotions and Potions for the Face and Body by Rebecca Sullivan and published by Kyle Books, 2018.
Organic Gardening Basics: Organic Pest and Weed Control
Our gardening experts’ best tips will arm you with the knowledge you need to win the war on garden pests and weeds, no chemicals needed.
Natural Hair Care Tips for All Hair Types and Textures
There are many different hair types, textures and requirements, there are tips and tricks that all hair types and textures can benefit from. Here are a few tips and tricks that can work for all hair types.
Stay hydrated this season with refreshing summer drinks.