• Helonias root, or false unicorn root (Chamaelirium luteum): Uterine tonic
• Kava-kava (Piper methysticum): Relaxant
• Lady’s-slipper orchid (Cypripedium spp.):Nervine
• Lomatium (Lomatium dissectum): Antiviral
• Osha (Ligusticum porteri): Diaphoretic
• Partridge berry (Mitchella repens): Astringent, diuretic
• Peyote (Lophophora williamsii): Hallucinogenic
• Slippery elm (Ulmus rubra): Demulcent, emollient, diuretic
• Sundew (Drosera spp.): Antibiotic
• Trillium, or Bethroot (Trillium spp.): Astringent, tonic, antiseptic
• True unicorn (Aletris farinosa): For flatulence, painful menses
• Venus fly trap (Dionaea muscipula): Immunostimulant
• Wild yam (Dioscorea villosa): Carminative
Jan Knight is editor of Herbs for Health and belongs to The National Center for the Preservation of Medicinal Herbs Advisory Council, a thirty-six member board made up of representatives from the news media, educational institutions, herbal practice, and other fields.
Click here for the originial article, Plants at Risk.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE