Author Henrietta Morrison knows a thing or two about fussy pets from her own dog, Lily, who was plagued by earaches and skin problems until Morrison started cooking for her and the symptoms disappeared. Dinner for Dogs (The Experiment, 2012) is her answer to these problems, and more. Morrison offers 50 simple, nutritious recipes for a happier, healthier dog—at any age. This Peanut Butter Dog Treat recipe is a gluten-free alternative to traditional dog treats.
Purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Dinner for Dogs.
Despite having the word wheat in it, buckwheat flour is in fact gluten-free and has a sweet, nutty taste. Peanut butter is a palatable fat to add if you have a finicky dog and want an alternative to animal fat. It also has a substantial level of protein.
• Vegetable oil for greasing
• 1 3/4 cups buckwheat flour, plus extra for dusting
• 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon steel-cut oats
• 1 heaping teaspoon blackstrap molasses
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1/3 cup unsweetened creamy peanut butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. Put the buckwheat flour and oats into a bowl.
3. Measure the blackstrap molasses into a small bowl. Pour the boiling water over the molasses and stir until dissolved. Add the peanut butter and stir. Add to the bowl with the flour and oats and mix together to form a soft dough. (If it is a little dry, add a few tablespoons of water.)
4. Lightly flour a clean work surface with additional buckwheat flour and turn out the dough onto it. Roll small pieces of the dough into balls about half the size of a golf ball. Put them on the prepared cookie sheet and press down gently on each ball with your thumb. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Let the kisses cool (they should be quite hard), then store them in a sealed container. They should keep for at least a week.
Per 4 ounces
Having trouble choosing a dog food? Read How to Read Dog Food Labels for information on what those ingredients really mean.
Recipe from Dinner For Dogs: 50 Home-Cooked Recipes for a Happy, Healthy Dog, copyright © Henrietta Morrison, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. Purchase this book from our store: Dinner for Dogs.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE