Plant-Powered Beauty(BenBella, 2018) by Amy Galper and Christina Daigneault offers plant-based alternatives to mass-produced beauty products, with recipes that enable readers to make their own products to maintain their natural beauty and promote health and well-being. This DIY hand sanitizer produces 2 ounces of gel and takes less than five minutes to make.
Washing our hands with natural soap and warm water is the ideal way to reduce germs in many situations. However, when we are on the go, using a hand sanitizer can be the next best thing. Our healthy hand sanitizer recipe is made with essential oils containing antimicrobial and antifungal properties, along with aloe vera to keep hands soft and smooth. In contrast to the many alcohol-based blends on the market that dry skin out, our hand-sanitizing gel works to moisturize while keeping your hands germ-free.
- small glass bowl
- glass or wooden stirrer
- 1 (2-ounce) plastic bottle with a fliptop
- 3 tablespoons aloe vera gel (look for inner fillet type)
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- 2 drops vitamin E
- 20 drops Healthy Hand-Sanitizing Essential Oil Synergy
For Healthy Hand-Sanitizing Essential Oil Synergy:
- 18 drops lavender essential oil
- 9 drops palmarosa essential oil
- 9 drops frankincense essential oil
- 6 drops lemongrass essential oil
- In a small glass bowl, combine the aloe vera gel and witch hazel and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add the vitamin E followed by the synergy and continue stirring until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Transfer the formula to the plastic bottle, close the bottle, and shake. Keep out of heat and away from direct sunlight. The gel should last for 2 months.
Add 1 or 2 drops of lemon essential oil for an extra citrus zing and a formidable detoxifying dose of antiseptic and immune-enhancing powers. In addition to these impressive properties, lemon essential oil is known to lift emotions — what a great bonus to having clean hands!
More from Plant-Powered Beauty:
Excerpted with publisher’s permission fromPlant-Powered Beauty by Amy Galper and Christina Daigneault and published by BenBella, 2018.