This is an excellent rich, hydrating mask for individuals with dry skin. It was inspired by creamy, delicious hummus, the popular Mediterranean spread. Both the olive oil and the chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are great for moisturizing the skin. Chickpeas are surprisingly great for skin, and you can find chickpeas at the grocery store easily. Rinse well before using our homemade moisturizing face mask. MAKES 3 OUNCES
• 1/4 cup mashed cooked chickpeas
• 1 teaspoon light olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 egg yolk
1. Stir all ingredients together until you have a smooth paste.
2. To use: After cleansing, spread the entire mixture over your face and neck, avoiding the delicate areas around your eyes and mouth. Leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse well with warm water followed by cool water, and pat your skin dry.
Janice Cox is the co-author, with her daughter, Lauren Cox, of EcoBeauty (Ten Speed Press, 2009).
Click here for the main article, Easy Mediterranean Spa Treatments.