This rich body butter also works as a garden salve to help treat minor cuts and scrapes after a day spent outdoors harvesting and trimming your plants. Sunflower, coconut and flax seed oil can all be found at your local grocery store. Beeswax is often found at the natural food store and farmer’s markets look for beekeepers as a source of wax and they may also have some lavender honey for sale. MAKES 4 OUNCES
• 1?4 cup cocoa butter
• 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon flax seed oil
• 2 tablespoons grated beeswax
• 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
• 5 to 6 drops lavender essential oil
1. Combine all of the ingredients except the essential oil of lavender and gently heat until melted. You may heat in the microwave or on the stove top on low heat.
2. Stir well and add the lavender essential oil, pour into a clean container and allow to cool completely.
3. To use: Massage into your skin, especially classic rough spots such as elbows, heels and knees.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home (Henry Holt and Company, 2002) and she and her daughter, Lauren Cox co-authored EcoBeauty (Ten Speed Press, 2009). For more recipes and ideas visit her website at www.janicecox.com.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Make Lavender Beauty Products.