These tips on caring for wool bedding will help keep your wool items clean and in good repair.
Caring for Wool Bedding
• Although wool allows for easy evaporation of moisture, wool bedding benefits from habitual airings and cleanings:
• Pull back wool comforters each morning to let surface areas breathe.
• Once a month, expose the bedding to direct sunlight and air to freshen, remove excess moisture, and bleach out yellowing
caused by perspiration.
• Read the manufacturer’s instructions before trying any cleaning method.
• Though machine washing and dry cleaning are not recommended, you may hand wash wool bedding using an up-and-down motion in
a washing machine, says St. Peter Woolen Mill’s Patricia Johnson. To keep the integrity of wool products, choose an
all-natural, biodegradable soap. After washing, put the items though the spin cycle twice to remove all soap, then hang or lie the
bedding flat to dry.
• Never put wool in the dryer with a heat setting on. However, it should be safe to use the dryer’s “cold”
or “air” settings for ten to twenty minutes. Toss in a tennis ball to help refluff the fibers, and check progress every
• For stain removal, use nontoxic spot cleaners, or try a solution of one part white vinegar and three parts distilled
Read more about wool bedding: Wool Bedding: Sleep Like a Lamb.