Herbal Salve Recipe
This salve may also be used as a healing lip balm. To make a burn salve, use a combination of St. John’s Wort, calendula, gotu kola, and Echinacea.
• 1 cup herbal infused oil, plus additional as needed
• 1 ounce beeswax, shaved, plus additional as needed
1. Warm the infused herbal oil in a pan and add the beeswax. Start with 1 ounce of beeswax and add more if needed. More beeswax will create a salve with a firmer consistency (better for traveling because it won’t melt in hot temperatures or in the car).
2. Test the consistency of the salve while it is still warm by dipping a cold spoon into the mix.
3. Add more oil or more beeswax as needed.
Mindy Green is an herbalist, aromatherapist, educator, and writer. She is also an esthetician, a consultant to the natural products industry, and director of education at the Herb Research Foundation in Boulder, Colorado.