This recipe results in a concentration of around 5 percent essential oils. If you’re using absolutes, don’t exceed 12 drops total. This might reduce the concentration of aromatics, but it won’t dampen the aroma!
- 40 to 50 drops essential oils and absolutes (see “Solid Perfume Variations,” below)
- 0.5 ounce (42 grams) candelilla wax or beeswax
- 0.5 ounce (15 milliliters) jojoba oil
- Small glass beaker
- Heatproof glass bowl
- Small saucepan
- Glass stirring rod
- Two 1-ounce lip balm tins, or one 2-ounce glass jar
- Measure out your chosen aromatics into the glass beaker. Start with the middle notes, and then add the base and top notes, swirling, smelling, and adjusting as you go. The large yield of this recipe allows for experimentation with scent, so be inventive!
- Measure out the wax into the heat-proof bowl. Fill the saucepan about 1/4 full with water. Bring the water to a gentle simmer, and then place the bowl over the saucepan to create a double boiler. Heat, stirring, until the wax has completely melted; take care not to let the water get into the wax.
- Next, add the jojoba oil and stir for a minute or so, until well-combined.
- Remove the bowl from the heat, and add the essential oils and absolutes. Mix thoroughly with the glass stirring rod.
- Pour immediately into the lip balm tins or glass jar, and let cool and solidify for about 15 minutes.
- Give your composition a name, label the tins or jar, and note the formula. Your solid perfume will keep in a cool, dark place for up to a year.
Solid Perfume Variations
Essential oils are extremely concentrated, and must be sufficiently diluted in a carrier oil to be used safely on your skin. Don’t adjust the proportion of aromatics to carrier oil in these recipes. All the following quantities are calculated for 2 ounces (56 grams) of solid perfume.
Top: 3 drops neroli, 5 drops petitgrain, 5 drops damask rose, and 8 drops mandarin
Heart: 2 drops clove bud, 3 drops ylang-ylang, 5 drops rose geranium, and 10 drops rose absolute
Base: 3 drops patchouli, 5 drops sandalwood, and 3 drops vetiver
Top: 5 drops coriander seed, 5 drops black pepper, 5 drops rose, 5 drops neroli, and 10 drops yuzu
Heart: 2 drops clove bud, 2 drops cinnamon leaf, 2 drops orange blossom absolute, 3 drops Jasminum grandiflorum absolute, and 5 drops rose absolute
Base: 5 drops each rock rose and myrrh
Carrier: Vanilla-infused jojoba
Top: 3 drops coriander seed, 3 drops caraway seed, 3 drops black pepper, and 3 drops damask rose
Heart: 3 drops clove bud, 3 drops cinnamon leaf, 8 drops Arabian jasmine, and 8 drops ylang-ylang
Base: 5 drops rock rose, 5 drops sandalwood, 8 drops patchouli, and 8 drops myrrh
Variation: Substitute Arabian jasmine with rose or orange blossom absolute — or use a combination and adjust the drops accordingly.
Learn more about the art and science of natural fragrance in Natural Perfumery.