Cucumber Wash, with a nice light lather provided by the soapwort, is very soothing and has light exfoliating properties. This recipe makes 1 application
- 1 ounce dried soapwort root
- 1 tablespoon kaolin or other cosmetic
- clay of choice
- 1 tablespoon finely ground oats
- 1/2 medium-size cucumber, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon soapwort root water 1 tablespoon spent soapwort root 1 teaspoon honey
- Place about an ounce of dried soapwort root in a saucepan of cold water. Bring the water to a boil over low heat. Cover and simmer for about ½ hour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool, covered. Strain the liquid and reserve the root.
- Mix together dry ingredients (kaolin and oats) in a bowl and set aside.
- Pulverize the cucumber in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a second mixing bowl.
- To the cucumber, add sour cream, soapwort root water, spent soapwort root, and honey. Stir well to mix and break up the sour cream.
- Add dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Allow the mixture to stand for about 30 minutes, to thicken slightly before using.
- To use, wet face and neck and wash with Cucumber Wash, using gentle, rounded strokes. Rinse with warm water, then repeat. Follow with toner and moisturizer.
More from Making Aromatherapy Creams & Lotions:
Excerpted from Making Aromatherapy Creams & Lotions © by Donna Maria. Used with permission from Storey Publishing.