Serves 6 to 8
Dulse adds a flavorful accent when paired with potatoes, and goes especially well with eggs and cheese. This crustless quiche-style potato bake combines all three for a terrific taste sensation.
- 1 cup (about 1 ounce) snipped dulse
- 1½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella soy cheese or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half*
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chile pepper flakes
* If desired, substitute the half-and-half with ½ cup mayonnaise and ½ cup soy milk.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, toss dulse, potatoes, onions and cheese in olive oil until well coated. Spoon mixture into a 3-quart baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs, half-and-half, flour and red chile flakes until thoroughly mixed. Pour evenly over dulse-potato mixture.
- Bake, covered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until potatoes are done, removing the cover during the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor to The Herb Companion, Herbs for Health’s sister publication. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband, Rick Wetherbee.
Click here for the original article, An Ocean of Health .