Here’s a favorite minty dish from More Recipes from a Kitchen Garden (Ten Speed Press, 1995) by Renee Shepherd and Fran Raboff. It’s easy to make, beautiful to look at and delicious to eat.
- 1 pound carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint, or more to taste
- Steam carrots until just tender-crisp. Heat butter in a deep skillet. Add carrots, lemon juice and sugar. Cook over medium heat, shaking the pan, until the carrots are coated.
- Add chicken stock and continue cooking slowly until the liquid is evaporated and the carrots are a light golden color. Add salt and pepper to taste and then add the mint. Mix well and serve immediately.
Nancy Smith, senior editor of Mother Earth News magazine, writes and gardens from her home in Leavenworth County, Kansas.
Click here for the original article, Bountiful Mints.