Ruby Red Cranberry Relish
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS
Fresh and dried cranberries give color and texture to this flavorful relish sweetened with bitter orange marmalade and seasoned with fiery serrano chiles and cinnamon. It’s a perfect match for all kinds of roasts and is especially delicious in a sandwich with the Festive Fall Cheese Ball and leftover turkey. Make it a day or two in advance.
•1 cup bitter orange marmalade
•Juice of 1 orange
•1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
•6 ounces dried cranberries
•1 cup water
•12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
•3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
•3 serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
•1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
•2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
•2 tablespoons tequila (optional)
•Salt to taste
1. Heat the marmalade, orange juice and cinnamon on low heat, stirring, until the marmalade melts. Off heat, stir in the dried cranberries and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, boil the water, add the fresh or frozen cranberries, and cook until they begin to pop.
3. Immediately drain the berries, rinse them with cold water, and chop them roughly.
4. Add these cranberries to the marmalade mixture and toss with the onion, serranos, cilantro, lime juice, optional tequila and salt.
5. Chill for several hours or up to several days before serving.
Check out the original article, A Twist on the Traditional Thanksgiving Menu.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE