Just because it’s the dead of winter doesn’t mean you can’t eat well! Enjoy scrumptious, nutritious meals all winter long with our favorite winter recipes.
Traditional for a reason, these homey and nutritious squash dishes carry us through winter’s darkest days.
• Featured recipes: Smoky Bacon and Squash Campanelle; Caramelized Kabocha Squash
Tasty, nutrient-dense recipes warm up winter nights. Pile these three recipes into a bowl and curl up.
• Featured recipes: Cardamom-Pear Sauce; Swiss Barley Risotto; Sweet Potato Colcannon
Nothing beats cold weather better than a bowl of something hot, yummy, healthy and easy. Pull out your slow cooker and enjoy one of these early American slow-cooked recipes.
• Featured recipes: American Apple Pie Soup; Boston Baked Beans; Indian Pudding
Whether you practice yoga or not, following a yoga diet helps you cultivate a magnificent body, mind and spirit.
• Featured recipes: Immunity Soup; Stuffed Turban Squash; Yogi Tea; Baked Stuffed Apples
Cold weather calls for down-home cooking with root vegetables, robust herbs and seasonal nuts and fruits.
• Featured recipes: Winter Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pepita Parsley Garnish; Skillet Corn Bread with Sage and Onions; Warm Salad of Wilted Greens and Black-Eyed Peas; Pear and Cranberry Crumbly Crisp
Get the most out of winter fruits and vegetables with this beautiful, easy-to-prepare Indian-inspired meal.
• Featured recipes: Tofu Curry with Winter Vegetables; Flatbread; Olive Relish with Herbs and Chiles; Oranges with Dried Fruit Compote
This winter, get excited about fresh, seasonal foods and dig into delicious baked, canned, frozen and fermented delights.
• Featured recipes: Roasted Duck with Sauerkraut and Root Vegetable Recipe; Baked Beets in Béchamel Sauce; Baked Figs with Balsamic Vinegar and Mascarpone Cheese
Winter doesn’t have to mean an end to nutritious, fresh produce. Among the most nutritious of all foods, root vegetables make for perfect healthy comfort food all fall and winter.
Don’t let the lack of fresh produce in winter dampen your love of flavorful food. What the winter pantry lacks in ripe produce, it makes up for in rich spices.
Even during the coldest months, we can up our health ante by eating locally grown, seasonal food. Winter may not match summer’s bounty, but don’t knock its seasonal delights—try the dozens of winter foods in this article.
Spices and Herbs
Featured recipes: Sindhi Mango Chutney, Steamed Fish with Cardamom Leaves, Yogurt Apple Pudding with Cardamom
Featured recipes: Kashmir Saffron Tea, Saffron Cake, Seafood Paella, Saffron Rice Pudding, Saff Mash, Hake in Saffron Sauce
Featured recipes: Fezanjan, Medivnyk, Cinnamon-Pecan Brittle, Jalapeno Spoon Bread, Rum Raising Ice Cream
Featured recipes: Rosemary and Cherry Focaccia, Lemony Rosemary Crumb Cake
Featured recipes: Chunky Ginger Syrup, Scrambled Eggs and Onions, Squash Soup, Wine-Poached Pears, Pain D’Epice
Featured recipes: Mulled Wine with Herbs, Mulled Pomegranate-Apple Cider, Peppermint Hot Chocolate, Spicy Hot Cocoa, Elderberry-Ginger Tea, Turmeric-Black Tea Brew, Lavender-Lemon Hot Toddy
Featured recipes: Gentle Green Chai, Tulsi Chai, Basic Black Chai
Featured recipes: Hot Mulled Apple Cider, Pineapple Mint Punch, Orange Green Tea Zing, Spice Chamomile Apple Punch, Grape Sparkle with Nettle
Featured recipes: White Chocolate Mintini, Le Cilantro Rouge, Citrus Lavender Martini, Raspberry Lavender Margarita
Avoid the malls this holiday season by making mouthwatering consumables from simple, wholesome ingredients.
• Featured recipes: Moroccan Barbecue Spice Mix; Moroccan Barbecue Sauce; Dark Chocolate-Dipped Date-Nut Truffles with Coconut; Macaroons
Deck your kitchen table this season with these tasty herbal cookies that your family and friends will love.
• Featured recipes:Anise-Scented Sugar Cookies, Rolled Gingerbread Cookies, Chocolate-Peppermint Truffles, Pignoli Cookies, Rosemary-Almond Biscotti, Lavender Shortbread, Royal Icing
When your friends and family gather this holiday season, treat them by serving pitch-perfect desserts—sweetened with unrefined sugars.
• Featured recipes: Pecan Pie Tarts, Ginger Cookies, Ginger Molasses Muffins, Chocolate Beet Cake, Whipped Chocolate Ricotta, Cranberry Orange Cake
Celebrate the onset of winter with a brunch that’s tasty, healthy and beautiful.
• Featured recipes: Egg and Cheddar Cheese Puff with Greens and Roasted Red Pepper; Tangerine Mimosas; Potato Pancakes with Stewed Apples; Pumpkin Scones with Cranberries; Seasonal Fruit Salad; Butter Cookies with Four Variations
You can eat locally, lower your food’s carbon emissions and save money while serving up a festive holiday meal.
• Featured recipes: Chicken Roasted with Thyme; Au Gratin Potatoes; Mushroom Bread Pudding
Say “I love you” with homemade Valentine’s Day candy hearts.