Try this Vegan Ratatouille recipe for a healthy, modern take on traditional ratatouille.
In Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking, author Cybele Pascal provides enticing recipes that steer clear of the top allergens: dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish and sesame. In the following excerpt, find a vegan take on traditional ratatouille that’s safe for those with the most common food allergies. You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking.
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup small-diced red onion
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
• 1 pound eggplant (about 1 medium), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch rounds, then diced into 1/2-inch pieces
• 8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 8 ounces summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence (I like Spicely brand)
• 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
• Freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and salt and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir.
2. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the eggplant and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes, until the eggplant is softened.
3. Add the zucchini and squash and toss, add the herbes de Provence and stir, and add the tomatoes and a few turns of pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened up a bit. Remove the lid and cook for about 1 more minute, stirring a few times.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature. Serves 4.
For more recipes from Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking, check out the article Allergen-Free Recipes: 3 Easy Vegan Meals.
Reprinted with permission from Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group. Buy this book from our store: Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE