The New Vegan by Aine Carlin (Kyle Books, 2017) is the essential cookbook for people who dream of going vegan but are daunted by the elimination of common animal-based ingredients from their diets. This excerpt shares three juice recipes that can be created without using a juicer.
Don't have a juicer? No problem. Simply get yourself a nut milk bag or cheesecloth, and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. I tend to err on the veggie side with my juices, adding just a smidge of necessary sweetness. They are so refreshing first thing, especially served in small tumblers with breakfast… they’re such an intense hit, they’ll be sure to give you that morning kickstart most of us need. The best thing about these particular juices is the balance. Even if you don’t think you will like a juice crammed full of spinach, I have a feeling these subtle mixes might just change your mind. Feel free to experiment and find the combinations you like best.
Don’t throw away the leftover pulp in the nut milk bag, save it for DIY beauty products, sauces, soups, and bliss balls — nothing goes to waste here.
For the Green Monster variation
• 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
• 1/3 cucumber, peeled and chopped
• handful of spinach
• 1/2 apple, chopped
• 1 passion fruit, pulp and seeds scooped out
• 1 tablespoon hemp powder (optional; available at health stores)
• 1 3/4 cups filtered water
For the Bugs Bunny variation
• 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
• 1 apple, chopped thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled
• 2 cups filtered water
For the Virgin Bloody Mary variation
• 6 cherry tomatoes
• 1 small celery stalk, coarsely chopped
• 1/2 red chile, seeded
• 1/2 lemon, peeled
• freshly ground black pepper
• 3/4 cup filtered water
1. Put all the ingredients for your chosen juice in a high speed blender and process until smooth.
2. Transfer to a nut milk bag and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Drink immediately.
More from The New Vegan:
Reprinted with permission from The New Vegan by Aine Carlin and published by Kyle Books, 2017.