If you’re looking for a sweet and salty snack, try this travel-savvy recipe. These Sweet and Salty Trail Mix Bars make a perfect snack by the pool or on a picnic in the summer. They even fit nicely in your backpack for long hikes. Filled with nutritious ingredients such as quinoa, sunflower seeds and yogurt, this light and crunchy—and a little nutty—recipe is a healthier alternative to prepackaged, high-sodium snacks. Best of all, it’s gluten-free!
This recipe comes courtesy Mary’s Gone Crackers.
Mary’s Sweet and Salty Trail Mix Bar Recipe
• 1 3/4 cups chocolate chips, divided
• 1 1/2 cups Mary’s Gone Crackers Sea Salt Pretzels, broken into small pieces
• 1 1/2 cups quinoa flakes
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
• 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
• 1/4 cup brown rice flour
• 1/4 cup almond flour
• 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt (or any plain vegan yogurt)
• 4 tablespoons palm oil
• 3/4 cup sunflower seed butter
• 1/2 cup palm sugar
• 1/3 cup honey (or brown rice syrup, or tapioca syrup)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch pan with an organic nonstick cooking spray. In a double broiler, melt 1 cup chocolate chips and pour evenly into the pan to create a chocolate base.
3. In a large bowl, combine pretzel pieces, quinoa flakes, cranberries, sunflower seeds, almonds, brown rice flour, almond flour and yogurt. Set aside.
4. Melt palm oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sunflower seed butter, palm sugar, honey and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
5. Pour palm mixture into the dry pretzel mixture and stir quickly to thoroughly coat. Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan and press firmly and evenly. Bake until lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
6. After baking, immediately sprinkle toasted coconut flakes over bars. Melt remaining 3/4 cup of chocolate and drizzle over bars. Let the bars cool completely in pan on a wire rack in the refrigerator before cutting into bars. Keep bars in the refrigerator as they contain yogurt. Makes 35 to 45 bars.
Mary’s Gone Crackers is committed to manufacturing the best-tasting, wheat-free and gluten-free baked goods using the highest quality, organically grown ingredients.