Charity Spotlight: Rise Against Hunger
Rise Against Hunger
Why they’re crucial: According to the World Hunger Education Service, 780 million of the world’s hungry people live in developing countries. Poverty is the principal cause of hunger, characterized by lack of resources, unequal income distribution and unstable government leadership. In order to properly feed hungry people and growing families, communities need long-term resources to work toward a thriving future, but also nourishment that meets their basic, immediate needs.
Since 1998, Rise Against Hunger has worked to provide healthy, prepackaged meals to communities in need, as well as relief and resources to developing countries and areas afflicted by natural disasters. Rise Against Hunger meals, packaged by volunteers, provide 23 essential vitamins and nutrients to those in need, fighting malnutrition and vitamin and mineral deficiencies in addition to hunger.
What They Do
• Provide meals to schools to encourage enrollment and attendance.
• Support safety-net programs that give recipients valuable skills training.
• Distribute meals, hygiene kits and water filters to communities hit by natural disasters and other emergencies.
Did You Know?
• One in three people worldwide is affected by vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
• The World Bank estimates that as of 2016, 896 million people in developing countries live on $1.90 a day or less.
• Rise Against Hunger helped 1,040,351 people around the globe in 2016, packaging 64,182,643 meals with the help of over 300,000 volunteers.
Visit Rise Against Hunger
Discover the ways in which the humble soup pot is full of superfood potential.
Recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey Tetrazzini
There are a lot of leftovers the day after Thanksgiving. Check out the Lemon Verbena Lady’s favorite recipe for turkey leftovers.
Thanksgiving Spices and Seasonings
Learn how to get the full flavor of holiday baking without investing in 10 new jars of herbs or spices.