Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup chicken stock (preferably from pastured chickens)
- 5 tablespoons melted ghee or butter
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
- chopped fresh thyme, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put garlic in a heatproof dish and drizzle with oil. Cover and roast for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- While garlic is roasting, put cauliflower in a saucepan with 1⁄2 inch of water. Cover and steam over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and transfer cauliflower to a food processor.
- Squeeze garlic skins to release cloves. Add garlic, stock, ghee or butter, salt and pepper to food processor. Process until smooth. Transfer to bowl, garnish with pepper and thyme, and serve.
Find more dishes for your holiday dinner: Healthy Recipes for the Holidays.
Cook’s Tip: Ghee is a traditional Indian cooking fat that takes much longer than butter to spoil and has a higher smoke point. It is typically made by fermenting milk, then churning the butter, then cooking it to evaporate the water and brown the milk solids, creating a rich flavor. Unless you are using ghee to fry foods, you can typically substitute grass-fed butter.
Adapted from Against All Grain Celebrations: A Year of Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes for Every Occasion by Danielle Walker and published by Ten Speed Press, 2016.
Mashed cauliflower is a more nutritious stand-in for mashed potatoes. The roasted garlic adds an earthy, robust flavor. To help with busy holiday prep, make this dish up to four days in advance. Reheat in a covered dish in a 350-degree oven.