This combo packs a big nutritional punch with both fiber and protein, plus the healthy and filling fats in nuts and seeds.
Top mini bagels with peanut butter and your choice of fruit and nuts for a healthy snack.
This combo packs a big nutritional punch with both fiber and protein, plus the healthy and filling fats in nuts and seeds. Stick with a mini or “flat” bagel instead of a regular one—this is a snack, not a meal. Be cautious buying whole-grain bagels. Labeling that proclaims “whole wheat,” “whole grain” and “7 grain” can be deceiving. In order to know you are indeed getting a product made completely with whole-wheat flour, the package must say “100 percent whole grain.” Top each bagel with one of the following:
• 2 tablespoons peanut butter
• Small handful sliced strawberries or whole blueberries
• Sprinkling of favorite chopped nuts (Walnuts add heart-healthy fat, protein and crunch.)
• 2 tablespoons chevre or other soft cheese
• Small handful sliced cucumbers or pitted olives
• Sprinkling of favorite seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, etc.)
For more healthy snack ideas, see the original article, Healthy Convenience Foods: Quick-Fix and Make-Ahead Snacks.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE