This is one of my favorite soups. It is perfect for dinner on a cool day, but it’s so good you’ll probably want to make it year-round. Plus, it’s one of the easiest soups you’ll ever make. It takes about 45 minutes to prepare and cook but the actual prep time is closer to five or 10 minutes.
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 cup brown rice
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 cups water
• 1/2 fresh chili or 1/4 teaspoon dried chili
• 2-inch piece of fresh ginger
• 1 organic chicken breast
• 1 can full-fat coconut milk
• Celtic sea salt or Himalayan crystal salt, to taste
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add brown rice, carrots, celery and onion. Add water and cover.
2. Dice chili and cut ginger into matchsticks, then add to pot. Cover again.
3. Let cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. If soup starts to boil, reduce heat.
4. Cut chicken into thin slices and add to soup. Add coconut milk and resume cooking for another 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add salt to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6 as a main dish.