Soaking steel-cut oats overnight makes them cook quickly in the morning, and they’re easier for many people to digest than regular oats. The toppings for this recipe can be adapted ad infinitum!
• 2 cups steel-cut oats
• 3 cups water, milk or nut milk
• 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon miso, or to taste (we like South River Miso)
• Toppings (optional): Toasted nuts or seeds; green onions; basil, cilantro or parsley; thinly sliced mushrooms; shaved radishes or beets; plain yogurt or kefir; fried or soft-boiled egg; diced avocado
1. In a medium saucepan, combine oats, liquid and yogurt. Stir to combine, cover and let soak overnight at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
2. In the morning, warm oats on stovetop over medium-low heat. Stir in miso and coconut. Spoon into bowls, add toppings and serve.
Find more great healthy breakfast recipes in Delicious & Quick Morning Meals.