Create dish after dish of fall flavor with The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook: Delicious Recipes for Sweets, Treats, and Other Autumnal Delights (Sterling, 2014). Author Stephanie Pedersen offers everything from homey baked goods to savory dinners, all fragrant with pumpkin pie spice. The following recipe from “Soup, Stew, and Chili” is for pumpkin bisque with a savory, coconut twist.
Light, deeply nutritious, delicious, and just exotic enough to be exciting, this pumpkin soup is fantastic. And easy! It freezes well, too—if you happen to have any leftovers.
Pumpkin-Coconut Bisque Recipe
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 or 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cups strong chicken or vegetable broth
• 2 (14 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
• 1 (14 ounce) can regular coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• Optional garnish: chopped chives, parsley, cilantro or pumpkin seeds
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the broth to the onions and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Stir the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, orange juice, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, and chili powder into the liquid. Bring the soup to a simmer, and cook until heated through, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Working in batches, pour soup into a blender until the blender’s pitcher is no more than half full. Puree soup until completely smooth, returning pureed soup to pot. Continue until all soup is blended. Alternately, use a stick blender to puree the soup in the pot.
5. Warm the pureed soup over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
More Recipes from The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook
Reprinted with permission from The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook © 2014 by Stephanie Pedersen, Sterling Publishing Co.