Pickled Garlic Cloves Recipe
- Peeled garlic cloves
- Apple cider vinegar, enough to cover
- Raw local honey, to taste
- Fill Mason jar with cloves and cover with apple cider vinegar. Keep in a warm, dark place for 3 to 4 weeks. (I like to put my jars in a paper bag and place in the sun.)
- After a few weeks, strain liquid and set aside.
- Pour half the liquid into a small saucepan over very low heat and stir in honey until fully incorporated.
- Pour this back over the garlic and allow to sit for another 3 weeks in a cool dark place, such as your pantry.
- Eat a clove of the pickled garlic whenever you wish, but for treating cold or flu, eat 3 to 5 cloves a day.
Get more recipes and advice on gardening for wintertime health in Build a Fall Garden Medicine Chest.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Rosemary Gladstar’s Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide.
Add pickled garlic cloves to soups, sauces and marinades to help keep winter illnesses at bay.