New to veganism and feeling overwhelmed? Find practical advice, inspiration and dozens of recipes for delicious, wholesome meals in Eat Like You Give a Damn (Book Publishing Co., 2015) by Michelle Schwegmann and Josh Hooten. The following recipe for Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts makes a versatile, go-to side dish for any meal.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Eat Like You Give a Damn.
I HOPE THAT TODAY’S kids aren’t growing up like the kids of my youth did, thinking that eating Brussels sprouts was some sort of punishment. This recipe will set you up with a deliciously prepared sprout that will be a treat to eat. If the sprouts end up rolling too close to the gravy or mashed potatoes, or end up falling into a rice dish and getting covered with almost any sauce from this book, they will be even better for it.
Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
• 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved if small or quartered if large
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put the Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add the oil, tamari, and pepper and stir until evenly distributed. Arrange in a single layer on the lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, tossing or turning the Brussels sprouts once to ensure even cooking.
Per serving: 104 calories, 4 g protein, 7 g fat (1 g sat), 8 g carbohydrates, 195 mg sodium, 50 mg calcium, 3 g fiber
More recipes from Eat Like You Give a Damn
Reprinted with permission from Eat Like You Give a Damn: Recipes for the New Ethical Vegan by Michelle Schwegmann and Josh Hooten, published by Book Publishing Co., 2015.