This salad will kick-start your senses with its curly, colorful, ever-changing textures; sweet and savory flavors; and delectable crunchy topping.
• 2 carrots, peeled and ends cut flat
• 2 parsnips, peeled and ends cut flat
• 1 jicama, peeled and ends cut flat
• 1 cucumber, ends cut flat
• 1 green bell pepper, stem removed (see tips, right)
• 1 small red onion, peeled and ends cut flat
• 3 cups watercress
• 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
• 2 tbsp fresh dill
• 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
• 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp raw agave nectar
• 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 cup sprouted quinoa
• 1/2 cup goji berries
• 1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
• 1/4 cup chopped raw peanuts
• 3 tbsp chia seeds
• Kosher salt (optional)
1. Using a spiralizer, cut carrots, parsnips, jicama, cucumber, green pepper, and onion into medium strands. Pat jicama and cucumber strands dry. Remove white flesh and seeds from pepper.
2. Place watercress in a large bowl. Add spiralized strands in random twisting layers on top. Top with tomato wedges. Set aside.
3. In blender, combine cilantro, dill, orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, and agave nectar. With the motor running, gradually add oil through the feed tube, blending until emulsified. Season to taste with salt. Drizzle over salad.
4. In a medium bowl, combine quinoa, goji berries, almonds, peanuts, and chia seeds. Season to taste with salt. Sprinkle over salad.
Tips: After spiralizing the bell pepper, you’ll need to remove the white flesh and seeds from the strands. Alternatively, you can core the pepper, but it won’t hold its shape as well during spiralizing.
You can use the topping on a variety of dishes. Try preparing it ahead of time and storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Recipes courtesy of 150 Best Spiralizer Recipes by Marilyn Haugen & Jennifer Williams © 2015, www.RobertRose.ca. Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
Learn more about spiralizers in Spiralizer Recipes for Gluten-Free Summer Meals
Use your spiralizer to cook more delicious dishes:
• Tangy Squash and Carrot Spirals with Chicken Recipe
• Parsnip Spaghetti with Pine Nut Basil Pesto Recipe