Photo by Getty Images/OlgaLepeshkina
This dressing derives magnesium primarily from the pumpkin seeds. It has a bright flavor and a hint of Latin flair, somewhat diverted by the inclusion of fresh basil. Massage it into kale, or toss it into cold sweet-potato or whole-grain noodles. If you don’t like cilantro, substitute parsley for an equally delicious dressing. Each 2-tablespoon serving contains about 15 percent of the RDA for magnesium.
Yield: About 2 cups of dressing, or sixteen 2-tablespoon servings.
- 1⁄2 cup raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1-1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend of your choice
- 1 medjool date, pit removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Mix ingredients together in a salad dressing jar, shake vigorously, and pour over a magnesium-rich Kale Salad with Edamame.
Aimee Gallo is a functional nutritionist and certified personal trainer. She’s had a passion for nutrition for over 20 years. Aimee works with clients all over the country. Visit her website at Vibrance Nutrition.