- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 chai-flavored tea bags
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 cups coconut milk (homemade or from can, aseptic box, or refrigerated carton)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 to 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or raw sugar such as Sucanat)
- Heat water in a medium saucepan until boiling.
- Immediately add tea bags, cover pot, and turn off heat.
- Allow tea bags to steep for 6 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and squeeze all liquid into the pot.
- Turn heat on, to low, and whisk in pumpkin purée, coconut milk, vanilla extract and sugar, until smooth. Add more water if you want a thinner drink. Serves 2.
Find more recipes and information in The Amazing Health Benefits of Coconut Milk.
Reprinted with permission from Coconut: The Complete Guide to the World’s Most Versatile Superfood ©2015 by Stephanie Pedersen, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photograph by Bill Milne.
Perfect for dishes both savory and sweet, coconut is as delicious as it is healthy. In Stephanie Pedersen’s new book Coconut (Sterling Publishing, 2015), learn how this nutritional powerhouse offers myriad health benefits and can be used in a number of tasty recipes. This excerpt, from chapter 2, “Coconut: The Everyday Powerhouse,” details the health benefits of coconut milk.
I adore pumpkin. I also love how easy it is to sneak into all kinds of foods, from nut butters to baked goods to smoothies to sauces to hot drinks. At one time, pumpkin purée was the only veggie my oldest son would eat. (Well, he wasn’t actually aware that he was eating it…) Anyway, you’ll love this pumpkin chai!