Herbal medicine has been skyrocketing popularity in recent years, but despite its wide appeal, it has largely overlooked the unique needs of men. Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Healing for Men (Storey, 2017) profiles 29 herbs with a run-down of their particular benefits for the male system and a variety of suggested uses and preparation tips. Gladstar, long celebrated for her wealth of herbal knowledge and inventive recipes, has customized dozens of simple and effective formulas for men.
Here’s another variation of a “candy” that’s good for you! This particular combination of herbs is formulated to give you sustained energy, not from stimulants, but from nutrient-dense herbs that nourish and support endocrine gland function.
Purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Healing for Men.
• 2 cups nut butter, such as cashew, almond, or peanut
• 2 cups tahini (drain any excess oil from the top)
• About 1-1/2 cups honey (more or less according to your taste)
• 2 ounces maca powder
• 1 ounce ashwagandha powder
• 1 ounce eleuthero powder
• 1 ounce rhodiola powder
• 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or almonds
• 8 ounces unsweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted
• 1 (12-ounce) package bittersweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or goji berries
• Unsweetened cocoa powder, to thicken
• Unsweetened cocoa powder, unsweetened coconut flakes, or melted chocolate, for coating the balls
1. Combine the nut butter, tahini, and honey in a large bowl and mix until smooth. Stir the herbal powders together in a separate bowl, then add to the nut butter mixture and mix well. Add the chopped nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries, and mix well; you may need to use your hands. Work in enough unsweetened cocoa powder to thicken the mixture to a doughlike consistency.
2. Roll the dough into walnut-size balls.
3. Finish the balls with a coating of your choice: shake them in a baggie filled with cocoa powder or coconut, or dip them into melted chocolate. Store the balls in an airtight container lined with wax paper in a cool spot, where they will keep for several weeks.
To use: The suggested dosage is two balls a day.
For extra zoom, add 1 ounce guarana powder and 1 ounce kola nut powder to the recipe. Guarana and kola are very high in caffeine, and because of this, they are not recommended for daily or long-term use, or for people who are excessively nervous and/or anxious, or who have hypertension or are on heart medication. But they do give extra zoom for a hard night of studying, that long hike, a marathon run, or a marathon night of lovemaking. The secret’s in the guarana!
More from Rosemary’s Herbal Healing for Men:• Men’s Medicinal Herb Tea
• Prostate Health Tincture Guidelines
Excerpted from Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Healing for Men © by Rosemary Gladstar. Used with permission from Storey Publishing.