In this twist on a classic tiramisu recipe, the cookies are soaked in floral simple syrup and the cream layer is dotted with citrus petals.
Photo By nolonely/Fotolia
In this twist on tiramisu, the cookies are soaked in a floral syrup and the cream layer is dotted with citrusy petals.
6 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
Pinch kosher salt
1¼ pounds mascarpone cheese (cold)
1 cup cream (cold)
¼ cup roughly chopped citrus blossoms (or substitute citrus zest)
2¼ cups rose, lavender or other
Floral Simple Syrup (below)
¼ cup light rum
1 pound hard ladyfingers
Garnish: 4 or 5 citrus blossoms, intact
1. Beat yolks with sugar and salt until pale yellow.
2. Beat in mascarpone on medium speed until well-combined. Remove to a separate bowl.
3. Add cream to original mixing bowl and beat until stiffened into whipped cream.
4. Fold cream and citrus blossoms into mascarpone mixture. Set aside.
5. Pour floral syrup and rum into a shallow pan next to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Soak ladyfingers in syrup for 2 seconds per side. Don’t drench them.
6. Lay ladyfingers in baking dish, cutting as needed to make a full layer on pan bottom.
7. Layer half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers. Repeat with another layer of ladyfingers, then mascarpone.
8. Garnish with whole citrus blossoms. Cover and refrigerate up to a day. Serve chilled.
Use this in place of sweeteners in recipes, from cakes to cocktails.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 cups flower petals
1. Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
2. Stir in petals and remove pan from heat. Cover and let steep overnight.
3. Taste syrup in the morning. For stronger flavor, reheat to just boiling, add more petals, remove to steep and taste again several hours later. To tame a too-strong floral flavor, dilute with plain simple syrup.
For more information about edible flowers, read the original article, Adorn Your Plate with Edible Flowers.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE