- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons yeast or 2 packages
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (120-130 degrees)
- 1/2 cup water (120-130 degrees)
- In a large bowl add 2 cups four, yeast, salt, sugar and baking soda. Stir for 3 minutes. Add remaining flour. Batter will be stiff. Do not knead!
- Grease two loaf pans, 8 x 4 is perfect size. Sprinkle with corn meal. Spoon batter into bread pans and smooth out. Sprinkle with cornmeal on top of batter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Here in our home we love the smell, taste and freshness of English Muffins. There is only one problem, I could never keep enough on hand to satisfy everyone. We would go through a package of English Muffins for breakfast every morning if everyone in the family had their way. They just can’t eat one, oh no the double toaster was getting a work out believe me.
The simplest way to solve this hunger for English Muffins was to come up with a recipe that everyone would enjoy.
After many trials and errors, the perfect English Muffin Bread was born. You can slice it as thick or thin as you like. Enjoy the English Muffin Bread sliced with fresh butter and jam or pop it into the toaster for a crisper taste. Add some fresh butter, honey or jams and grab yourself a tall glass of milk, cup of hot chocolate or mug of coffee and sit back and enjoy your homemade English Muffin Bread.
NOTE: If you would like your English Muffin Bread to be round and not square, use a clean coffee can filled halfway full and bake as directed.