Vegetarian Holiday Fare: “Savory” Fruit Compote
Serves 6 to 8
This is a sweet/tart accompaniment to mild main dishes, or a not-too-sweet dessert with slices of pound cake.
• 12 ounces dried prunes
• 6 ounces dried apricots
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 unpeeled orange, halved and sliced thin
• 6 sprigs winter savory
• 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (to taste)
1. Simmer dried fruit and orange slices in water to cover for 30 minutes or until soft.
2. Add savory sprigs and vinegar.
3. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
4. Serve immediately or refrigerate; if the latter, let the compote come to room temperature before serving.
Click here for the main article, Vegetarian Holiday Fare.
Shake Up Your Holidays with Herbal Cocktails
Create holiday buzz about your secret ingredients with chef David Burns’ uncommon libations.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.