This homemade Mediterranean tapenade recipe is a great example of how a small amount of lavender can bring out the best in other ingredients. Kathy Gehrt’s Discover Cooking with Lavender(Florentia Press, 2010) celebrates full-bodied flavor that is sure to leave your dinner guests guessing. This excerpt is taken from the chapter ” Savory Creations.”
Tapenade with Capers and Lavender
Makes 2 cups
This tapenade is as colorful as the Italian flag and an easy crowd pleaser. The artichokes stand in for the traditional olives and the Mediterranean flavors create a taste sensation. Serve on crostini or artisan crackers. Marian Robertson’s tapenade (from Cooking Gluten-Free by Karen Robertson) was the inspiration for this version.
• 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained
• 1 can (6 ounces) whole artichokes, drained and quartered
• 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, large stems removed
• 1 teaspoon Mediterranean seasoning
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or passed through a garlic press
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/4 cup capers, drained
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until well blended.
2. Serve on crackers or bread.
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Discover Cooking with Lavender: Fresh & Flavorful Recipes, published by Florentia Press, 2010.
Click here for the main article, From Garden to Table: Cooking with Lavender.