So many delicious herbs can lend nuanced flavors and aromas to this white fish recipe. Start with a trio base of fresh garlic, shallot and lemon slivers. Top with one or more herbs such as parsley, tarragon, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, spearmint, chives, chervil, cilantro or lemon balm. MAKES 4 SERVINGS OF HERB-FLAVORED SOLE IN PARCHMENT
• 4 sheets parchment baking paper, 2 to 3 inches longer than the fish fillets
• 4 sole fillets or another flaky white fish (about 5 or 6 ounces each)
• A little canola or olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
• 1 large shallot, very thinly sliced
• 1/2 lemon, very thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs (see above note)
• Freshly ground white pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Fold each parchment piece and cut into a large heart shape, using the entire paper.
3. With a pastry brush, coat both sides of fillets with a little oil. Rub with white pepper (optional).
4. Place each fillet lengthwise in the heart center (near the paper fold).
5. On top of each fillet, place garlic, shallot and lemon slivers. Add 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs and a little fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 tablespoon).
6. Fold over heart and seal up edges of each packet.
7. Place packets on baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until fish is opaque. (You may want to test one packet for doneness.)
8. When serving, snip each packet with scissors–careful of the steam!
Letitia L. Star specializes in writing about healthy eating, gardening and green living topics. She is a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion.
Click here for the main article, The Best Foods to Reduce Cholesterol.