Shallots and herb eggs are relatively low in cholesterol and perfect for a family breakfast or a special brunch.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 or 3 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 8 ounces egg substitute, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram, or 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh dill weed, or 1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 fresh basil leaf, minced, or a pinch dried basil
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 21/2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (regular or reduced-fat)
- Spray a nonstick frying pan with vegetable oil spray. Sauté the shallots and red pepper over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. If the vegetables start to stick, add a small amount of water.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg substitute, herbs, and spices. Whisk until fluffy. Pour the egg mixture and cheese into the pan and scramble over medium heat, stirring frequently.
–Deborah L. Woodworth, New Brighton, Minnesota