Potatoes and Prawns with Dill Aioli
The traditional Provençal aioli is a homemade garlic-flavored mayonnaise. This easy version uses a high-quality commercial mayonnaise. The dill-flecked aioli forms a creamy base for the prawns. Serve this simple dish as an hors d’oeuvre or first course to an elegant dinner.
- 6 medium-sized red potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 24 medium prawns (about 1/2 pound), cooked
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut off the ends of the potatoes, then cut each potato into four even slices about 1/2 inch thick. Coat a baking sheet with the oil and place the potato slices on it in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes, turn the slices, and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until done. Remove the sheet from the oven. Pat the potatoes with paper towels to blot up excess oil. Arrange them on a platter.
- Combine the mayonnaise, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper. Place a teaspoon of aioli on each potato slice. Top with a prawn and serve immediately or at room temperature.