Very Veggie Luscious Lasagna
Serves 9 to 12
Even if you chop fresh herbs and vegetables, this recipe shouldn’t take longer than thirty minutes to prepare–even if you’re new to the kitchen. Mushrooms, thinly sliced carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, and broccoli are delicious in this dish. If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, substitute 1 teaspoon each of the dried herbs or 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning.
9 x 13-inch baking pan
Medium-size mixing bowl
Two dinner plates
Potato masher or big fork
Measuring cup (1-cup size)
1 to 2 packages vegan (egg-free) lasagna noodles (15 to 20)
4 8-ounce packages silken tofu (or 2 1-pound packages firm tofu)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fresh-ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
20 basil leaves, torn small
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried onion)
25-ounce jar organic vegetarian pasta sauce
2 cups vegetables, chopped small (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Cook noodles according to directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Make sure noodles are completely cool. Meanwhile, lightly coat pan with olive oil.
3. Drain tofu and set on plate. Place another plate on top of tofu and press down firmly to squeeze out excess water. In mixing bowl, crumble tofu, using your hands, a potato masher, or a big fork. Sprinkle in salt and pepper and mix. Add herbs, then stir in garlic and onion.
4. Cover bottom of pan with a thin layer of tomato sauce. (You want just enough so noodles won’t stick.)
5. Layer approximately 5 noodles, slightly overlapping, across bottom of pan, making sure they reach to all the edges. Spoon another light layer of tomato sauce over noodles, then spread half the tofu evenly over that. If using veggies, sprinkle 1 cup over the tofu, then layer on 5 more noodles.
6. Repeat same steps with the sauce, remaining tofu, and veggies. Finish with one last layer of noodles and a light coat of tomato sauce. (Reserve some sauce that you can reheat and serve as extra topping.)
7. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with a bowl of warmed tomato sauce that can be ladled over lasagna to each person’s liking.