Do you have an overproductive zucchini patch? This delicious recipe can help.
• 2-3 medium-sized zucchinis (2 quarts grated)
• 2-3 chopped onions
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large can tomatoes, or about 1 quart fresh tomato puree
• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
• 1 sprig thyme
• 1 sprig rosemary
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
• Black pepper
• 4 cloves garlic
• 2 1/2 cups grated swiss cheese
• 4 ounces feta cheese
• Lasagne noodles, cooked and drained
1. Place the grated zucchini in a colander in the sink, salt it lightly, and let it stand. Sauté the onions in the olive oil until transparent. Add the tomatoes, herbs, and salt and pepper. Press the garlic into the sauce. Let simmer while you grate the swiss cheese, chop the feta, and cook the noodles. Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a paper towel, press any remaining moisture out of the zucchini.
2. In a 13-by-9-inch baking dish, layer as follows: a third of the sauce, a quarter of the noodles, half the zucchini, half the feta, a quarter of the noodles, and then repeat, finishing with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the swiss cheese. Bake about 45 minutes. Let it stand a few minutes before serving.
–Dawnel J. Derenne, Trévoan, France