- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plain, lowfat yogurt, well whisked
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and stir-fry until golden brown. Add the ginger and garlic pastes, salt, cilantro, and mint, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the water and yogurt, and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice. Bring to a boil again, then cover and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 7 to 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed completely and the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat and fluff gently with a fork to separate the grains. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
3. Serve with any lamb or vegetarian main dish, accompanied by a vegetable or yogurt side dish.
Tip: Hara Pulao can be prepared in advance and reheated, in a microwave or in a preheated oven at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes, before serving.
Click here for the main article, “A Sweet Taste of India.“