Try this spread with meats, grilled chicken, and vegetables, on sandwiches, and in salads.
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 egg
• 4-7 garlic cloves to taste
• 1/2 cup tightly packed Spicy Globe or lemon basil leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice or cider vinegar
• Dash sugar
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• 2/3 cup olive oil
Put all ingredients except the olive oil in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade. Puree for 1 minute, then slowly add the olive oil with the machine still running. Stop as soon as all the olive oil has been added and the oil has emulsified. Do not overblend. A tablespoon of hot water blended into the finished mayonnaise will stabilize it.
–Karen Potter Morrione, Atlanta, Georgia
For more recipes from Kitchen Table,click here.